Pick a grain base (brown/white/black rice or quinoa)
1 can black or pinto beans
1 small zucchini
1 small yellow squash
1 bag of mixed broccoli & cauliflower
1 cup of kale
1 medium white or sweet potato
handful of fresh cilantro
1 green onion or handful of chives
1 small purple onion
1/4 head of cabbage
Rice Bowl Spices:
Ground black pepper
Spicy White Sauce Ingredients:
Hot sauce (your favorite)
1 cup vegan mayo or sour cream
1. Pick your grain base. Either brown/white/black rice or quinoa. Cook according to packaging.
2. Cook 1 can of black or pinto beans in a saucepan. Add seasonings to beans to give them more flavor. Add 1 bay leave, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp ground cumin, and dash of ground black pepper. Let cook on medium-low until ready to build your rice bowl.
3. Chop up vegetables into bite size pieces and steam in a saucepan with about 1-2 inches of water for 5-7 minutes. Just until the vegetables get soft.
4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. On a oiled cooking sheet spread all vegetables out. Sprinkle a little bit of sea salt, black pepper and garlic powder all over. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are toasted and fully cooked.
5. While the vegetables are cooking cut up fresh cilantro, green onions, purple onions, cabbage, and avocado. You can garnish your rice bowl with any other toppings you like as well.
6. To make a spicy white sauce you’ll need your favorite hot sauce, vegan mayo or sour cream, and garlic powder. In a mixing bowl add 1 cup of vegan mayo or sour cream, 1 tbsp hot sauce and 1/2 tsp garlic powder. Mix throughly. Taste the sauce and see if you need to add more hot sauce or garlic.
7. Time to build your rice bowl. Start with a nice big bowl. Layer each item in this order. Rice, beans, spicy white sauce, vegetables, fresh cilantro, green onions, cabbage, onions, avocado and top with more spicy white sauce. Of course you can experiment and see how you like it best. Enjoy!