On a rather chilly day at home I was so exciting to whip out the crock pot and make a hearty meal. Today I’m making sweet potato and black bean chili. It’s going to be amazing I know it.
I love the process of making chili. The chopping of all the vegetables (it’s a zen thing for me, I get in the zone), adding all the ingredients into one big pot and watching it cook for hours. Just being at home, listening to music, reading books, doing laundry and watching random TV shows.
Then 5-6 hours later this chili that has been making the house smell delicious is ready to indulge in.
Oh and I got these awesome clay bowls for Christmas and they will be perfect for this chili.
Below is the full recipe. And don’t worry there will be plenty of left-overs for lunch tomorrow and many more meals. You can also freeze a few bowls of chili to save for next week.
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cans black beans (rinsed & drained)
- 1 can dark red kidney beans (rinsed & drained)
- 3 cups water
- 2 small tomatoes (diced)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 medium carrots (diced)
- 1 large sweet potato (diced – bite size pieces)
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1/8 tsp ground clover
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Additional sea salt & black pepper (to taste)
- freshly chopped cilantro
- fresh avocado slices
- vegan soy cream
- vegan shredded cheddar cheese
- freshly chopped green onions
1. Add all ingredients except additional salt & pepper and toppings into a large slow cooker. Cook on high for 5-6 hours. Add additional seasonings if needed. Garnish with your favorite toppings and serve immediately. Enjoy!