Photo credit: Chloe Coscarelli
Happy Halloween! Check out these yummy yet spooky mini vegan cupcakes. We totally love Chef Chloe and her brilliant vegan recipes. Make these sweet little treats this halloween. I love the frosting decoration on these mini cupcakes. You can always make other little creepy crawlers designs too.
As cute as they are creepy, these miniature cupcakes are bite-sized, moist, and topped with creamy vanilla frosting.
|Makes 36 mini cupcakes|
|For the cupcakes:
Non-stick cooking spray
1-1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups non-dairy milk
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons white or apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla
For the frosting:
1 cup vegan shortening
3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 to 5 tablespoons non-dairy milk
Blue, black, and red natural food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 24-cup mini-cupcake pans with 36 mini-cupcake liners and spray lightly with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together non-dairy milk, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and whisk until just combined. Do not over-mix.
3. Fill cupcake liners about three-quarters full with batter. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool cupcakes completely. When cooled, run a sharp knife around each cupcake to loosen and use tip of knife to gently pry cupcake out of pan.
4. For the frosting, using an electric mixer, beat shortening until smooth. With mixer running on low, add powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk at a time, as needed, until frosting reaches a spreadable consistency. Beat mixture on high for 2 more minutes until light and fluffy.
5. To decorate cupcakes, frost top of each cupcake with a thin layer of frosting. Divide remaining frosting into two bowls. In one bowl, add a few drops of blue food coloring and mix. In other bowl, add a few drops of black food coloring and mix. Fit two piping bags with two small round tips. Fill one piping bag with blue frosting and the other with black frosting and pipe an eyeball design on each cupcake, as pictured. Use a toothpick to paint on “bloodshot” red squiggly lines for full effect.
Find more recipes from Chef Chloe here.