You may have notice Indian food is my favorite. I love cooking it because it makes the whole house smell of exotic spices. The combination of turmeric, curry, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, garam masala, fennel seeds and the list can go on and on. Not to mention all these spices are incredibly good for you from the anti-inflammatory properties to a great digestion aid.
Here I made Aloo Matar which is a very tasty dish made with potatoes and peas in a spicy creamy tomato based sauce. Almost like a stew or gravy. I serve it with Cauliflower Risotto or (Cauliflower Rice – same thing).
1 potato, chopped into bite-size pieces
2 cup frozen peas
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
2 cups full fat coconut milk
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Using a medium sized skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and tomato. Let cook about 3-5 minutes until onions are translucent. Add all spices and mix well.
- Reduce heat to medium low and allow spices to cook and become fragrant. This should become paste-like.
- Stir in coconut milk and allow to thicken. Cook for 1-3 minutes. (If you want to the sauce to be thinner add a tablespoon of water at a time).
- Add in potatoes and peas. Stir the sauce to coat the potatoes. Cook for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Sprinkle into skillet the cilantro during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Add sea salt to taste. Serve warm and enjoy!
I like to serve this with cauliflower rice and garlic naan bread. Let me know how you like this recipe in the comments below.